» » Iker: Lopez was Real's no. 1

Iker Casillas harbours no ill will towards Diego Lopez for having replaced him as Real Madrid's first-choice goalkeeper, but is prepared to fight his way back.

Casillas rode the substitutes' bench for much of last season after injury opened the door for Lopez to establish himself as Jose Mourinho's number-one gloveman.

The 32-year-old was also forced to relinquish the captain's armband to Sergio Ramos, while rumours were rife of a fall-out between him and Mourinho, who has since left the club and returned to Chelsea.

"Diego Lopez is a fantastic person and a great goalkeeper," Casillas told Radio Marca. "He was superb and he deserves to continue playing. He had a brilliant season.

"I never wanted problems. I have learned how to show patience ever since I was a child, I know that I have to wait and try to win my place in the side."

As for him having reportedly lead a player coup in order to expedite Mourinho's departure from the Bernabeu, Casillas has tried not to let the speculation and criticism get to him.

"I didn't want to be a nuisance or be harmful to the team," the Spain skipper added. "If one day I am told that I have to leave this club, which I consider to be my home, I will go without fuss.

"I was trying to recover from my injury and others were saying things about me. If that had happened to me when I was 20, I would have taken it as a problem but right now I am the captain.

"I'm not going to go yelling that I am no telltale. I will try and win over the people who think I am not good enough. All I want to do is help my club so that they can win the 10th European Cup and all of the trophies that they contest." / football411.com

About Unknown

Hi there! I am Hung Duy and I am a true enthusiast in the areas of SEO and web design. In my personal life I spend time on photography, mountain climbing, snorkeling and dirt bike riding.
«
Next
Newer Post
»
Previous
Older Post

No comments:

Leave a Reply